In the News: Oregon to Use New Advanced Directive

  • Home
  • Blog
  • In the News: Oregon to Use New Advanced Directive

What is an Advanced Directive?

In Oregon, the advance directive form is set by statute and allows you to choose a person, or people, to make health care decisions for you in the event you become too sick to speak for yourself. An advanced directive also allows you to share what kinds of medical treatment you may or may not want and allows you to designate important end of life decisions. Kate Brown

On June 15, 2021, Governor Kate Brown signed into law a revision to the advance directive form. The new form will become effective mid-September 2021.

I already have an Advance Directive, will it become invalid?

No, if you properly completed any of the prior versions of the Oregon advance directive, those forms will remain valid and your medical desires will be followed. However, if you would like to update your advance directive, please reach out to Kehoe Moneyhun Law and we would be happy to assist you.

What is a POLST (Portable Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment)?

A POLST (Portable Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) is a way to document a conversation with your health care professional about what you would or would not want when you can no longer speak for yourself. A POLST is completed and signed by your health care professional and the order becomes a part of your medical record. You then may also sign it, and can change your mind or void the form at any time.

If I have a POLST should I also have an Advanced Directive?

There are a few key differences between an advanced directive and a POLST form. A POLST form may not be used to name a surrogate/health care decision-maker, only an advance directive can be used to designate a third party to make medical decisions on your behalf. Additionally, because a POLST is a medical order, EMS can follow it, while they cannot follow an advanced directive. An advanced directive is a legal document that generally tells a hospital team what you want and don’t want. If you have a POLST you should also have an advance directive. Having an advance directive is an important part of your estate plan.

If you have questions about the difference between documents or would like to complete an advance directive, please contact Kehoe Moneyhun Law and we would be happy to assist you.


Leave A Comment